Thursday, August 5, 2010

Lucky to come from the Sunflower State...


When I was a kid, I remember disapproving of the Kansas State flower. I had no clue who actually chose our state flower, but I thought they were nuts. As I grew older, and actually laid eyes on the sunflower fields dominating the landscape through parts of western Kansas, I began to appreciate them a bit more. I remember being amazed when I saw them all facing away from the fading sunset waiting for it to appear again in the other direction. I decided that even if our flower wasn't the prettiest or best smelling flower, that I must have the best personality...which seemed to fit Kansas, if I do say so myself.

I'm wondering if I'll feel the same way about the Scottish Thistle before the end of my time here, but don't have high hopes. This Scottish "flower" is currently barring my way through our croft! I haven't been able to walk through it in about a month without being poked at every step...not pleasant.

No comments: