Thursday, March 11, 2010

I made quiche!!!

Yes, I conquered the quiche this week thanks to Jamie Oliver. I know I know, he's got a lisp...but you've got to admit he's pretty good at what he does. Did I follow the recipe? Not really... but that's why he's awesome! He gave me permission to take some risks.

Here's what I stuck together and how I stuck it together for my awesome mini quiche:

1) - Thawed frozen store bought pastry crust. Overnight in the fridge, then left on the counter for 30 minutes (or however long it took me to put on my make-up on and blow dry my hair).

2) - Found myself something rolling pin-like to roll out my nicely thawed pastry. I used a wooden spoon for this one, but intend to use my brand new rolling pin next time...bought 1 day too late.

3) - Fitted the pastry into a shallow dish, scrunched up the sides and stabbed the bottom with a fork. *Mom, I really should've paid more attention to you on this step.

4) - Stuck in an oven preheated to 450ยบ F or gas mark 8 for about 6 minutes.

5) - In a non-stick skillet, fried 2 slices of british bacon, about 1/2 an onion, and a handful of mushrooms.

6) - Pulled out the crust, scrunched up the sides of the pastry again after they had collapsed on me, and stuck in most of the fried up mess I made.

7) - "Whisked" together 2 dollops of creme fraiche, salt & pepper, and 1 egg, then added a bunch of shredded cheddar cheese. I was worried for a second that I put in too much cheese, but then common sense ruled. Of course...there's no such thing as too much cheese!

8) - Poured that mixture into the pastry shell and fried mess. Topped with a bit more cheese, and stuck the whole thing in the oven for about 15-20 minutes. Jamie said 10-12, but I'm pretty sure it was longer than that...but I guess I was hungry...

There you have it, my lil quiche. Jamie's was much more interesting with things like spinach, prosciutto, and some herb I'd never heard of, but mine was tasty all the same. Success!

No comments: